A lot of our CSA members have had trouble deciding what to do with our beautiful Azure Star Kohlrabi. Since the veggie can be so versatile, we thought we’d post a recipe for one of it’s most common uses so that you all can really get down to enjoying this eastern European treat! Farm Forth!
Makes 4 servings of Kohlrabi Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound kohlrabi bulbs, peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan with a lid. Add onions and cook gently until soft, about 10 minutes. Add kohlrabi and cook 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, milk and bay leaf to pan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 minutes or until kohlrabi is tender. Let cool a few minutes and remove bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender or conventional blender or food processor, puree soup until smooth. You may want to strain the soup through a fine sieve if the kohlrabi is especially fibrous. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in heated bowls with hearty bread of choice.
Note: If your kohlrabi come with the green tops, blanch them and clean as you would for spinach, stripping the leaves down off the tough center stem. Roll the leaves and slice across as for a “chiffonade” of basil.